About Me

My photo
Cork, Ireland
An Irish based alternative music blog. Music news, gigs, live reviews, album reviews... You'll find them here. If you want anything featured or removed, please shout. I hope you'll discover something new to love on this little experiment of mine. Currently editing the Music Section of the UCC Express and contributing to Motley magazine on campus, as well as writing for PopCultureMonster and 4FortyFour. Always looking for new projects so please get in touch if interested. Thanks for reading.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Just Another Manic Monday...

A few points of business to address tonight...

Manic Monday

Andy Carroll is by no means worth £35million, but this is neither the time nor the place for such talk!

4FortyFour

I have been lucky enough to have been asked to begin contributing to the fantastic 4fortyfour blog (http://4fourtyfour.wordpress.com/) You can check out my first contribution - a late addition to the 'EarWorm#4' post, on which I talk about the song that's dominated my last seven days or so. I opted for the simply fantastic "L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N." by Noah & the Whale - pitch perfect. Check it out below.



Very like "Lola" by the Kinks. A much more upbeat track than they included on the second album, yet not as over the top as the debut. Excited about the album now.

New Music

And quite a bit of it too, thankfully! I haven't found much to love just yet this year (James Blake aside) but this could be all changing.

Today Fleet Foxes released the first track from their forthcoming second album. Helplessness Blues is as you'd expect from Fleet Foxes. It mixes their quirky, folky style with their fantastic harmonies and vivid lyrics. It isn't a radical step forward, but this is by no means a bad thing. It is available to download from the band's official website @ http://www.fleetfoxes.com/ Listen to it below and, while nobody likes those awful still videos, at least you can look at the stunning artwork that will accompany the album when it does hit shops in May.



Next, we come to REM who are strong contenders for the shock of the year with their new album Collapse Into Now. Four tracks have now been released, each better than the last. (Well, not literally. 'Discoverer' was first and is still the best...) Mine Smells Like Honey is the latest and it is continuing with the vintage REM vibe - very 'New Adventures in Hi-Fi'

Any version of the official video that I have tried to get my hands on has been met with that awful message telling me I'm not eligible for the material where I'm based, so I'm afraid we'll have to make do with another of these awful still videos.




We also have a new track from Cork-band John Blek & the Rats. 'No More Leaving' is a much more bluesy, country style track - bit of a departure from their previous work.



Also doing the rounds today is the new album from Bright Eyes ('The People's Key') - check it out via their official YouTube channel or NPR, while Cut Copy's new album is doing the rounds. I haven't gotten through all of Bright Eyes' just yet, though Cut Copy's is pretty good from what I've heard so far.

Also, according to the German amazon, U2's new album is due for release in May...

Watch this space.

Do Not Miss...

The Digital Socket Awards. This Thursday, the DSAs take place in the Grand Social in Dublin. Groom, Meljoann and a special guest (a fantastic one too, might I add!) will perform at the inaugural blogger choreographed event for just €10. Check it out, seriously.
That's all folks...

No comments:

Post a Comment