About Me

My photo
Cork, Ireland
An Irish based alternative music blog. Music news, gigs, live reviews, album reviews... You'll find them here. If you want anything featured or removed, please shout. I hope you'll discover something new to love on this little experiment of mine. Currently editing the Music Section of the UCC Express and contributing to Motley magazine on campus, as well as writing for PopCultureMonster and 4FortyFour. Always looking for new projects so please get in touch if interested. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New Music: Lissie

This young lady is by no means new to me - in fact I even tipped her as one of the acts not to be missed at Oxegen. Unfortunately I managed to miss her myself but sure...

Lissie is a folk-rock artist from the deep-south of the United States. Her debut album was recorded in Nashville with Jacqui King (Kings of Leon) and has been described as an artist who finds the "sepia toned sweet spot between Neko Case, Laura Marling and the Shangri-Las"

That's pretty accurate. Lissie's strength lies in her vocal capabilities. The video below is a live version of the track Bully that I only got my hands on in the last few days and have hardly stopped playing since. The comparisons to Laura Marling in particular are not too far wide of the mark - imagine if Ms. Marling had been born in the southern US of A rather than London. And had a thing for a guitar solo that Mr. Jack White may be proud of...

No comments:

Post a Comment