About Me

My photo
Cork, Ireland
An Irish based alternative music blog. Music news, gigs, live reviews, album reviews... You'll find them here. If you want anything featured or removed, please shout. I hope you'll discover something new to love on this little experiment of mine. Currently editing the Music Section of the UCC Express and contributing to Motley magazine on campus, as well as writing for PopCultureMonster and 4FortyFour. Always looking for new projects so please get in touch if interested. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ian Curtis: 30 Years On

Just a very quick post on this unfortunately as I have an exam in a few hours!

Today marks the thirtieth anniversary of the death of the enigmatic Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis. Curtis hanged himself in the kitchen of his parents' house following marital difficulties as well as health issues due to his epilepsy.

Obviously as a child of the 90s I never got the opportunity to experience the magnificence of Joy Division first hand though I have fallen in love with their work in recent years. Like many, I came to Joy Division via a number of the bands that they were a huge influence on and it frightens me to think what the music industry may have looked like had Curtis and co. never put out any work.

The term genius is banded about rather frequently nowadays but I think that Curtis is one of the few who are worthy. His death at 23 was simply a tragedy. A tortured soul and a poet, his influence will be felt forever in the music industry.

Ian Curtis: 15/07/1956 - 18/05/1980.

No comments:

Post a Comment