About Me

My photo
Cork, Ireland
An Irish based alternative music blog. Music news, gigs, live reviews, album reviews... You'll find them here. If you want anything featured or removed, please shout. I hope you'll discover something new to love on this little experiment of mine. Currently editing the Music Section of the UCC Express and contributing to Motley magazine on campus, as well as writing for PopCultureMonster and 4FortyFour. Always looking for new projects so please get in touch if interested. Thanks for reading.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Choice Music Prize 2009

That magical night is rolling around again - the Choice Music Prize 2009. Celebrating the best in Irish music, the Choice Prize was established in 2005 and follows a smiliar pattern to the Mercury Music Prize in recognising Irish releases from the previous twelve months.

We've seen Julie Feeney, Jape, The Divine Comedy and Super Extra Bonus Party win the last 4, beating off some stunning albums including Bell X1 "Flock", Messiah J & The Expert "Now This I Have To Hear", Fionn Regan "The End Of History" and Mick Flannery "White Lies".

The nominees this year are:
And So I Watch You From Afar; "And So I Watch You From Afar"
Bell X1; "Blue Lights on the Runway"
Codes; "Trees Dream In Algebra"
Adrian Crowley; "Season of the Sparks"
Dark Room Notes; "We Love You Dark Matter"
The Duckworth Lewis Method; "The Duckworth Lewis Method"
Julie Feeney; "Pages"
Valerie Francis; "Slow Dynamo"
Laura Izibor; "Let The Truth Be Told"
The Swell Season; "Strict Joy"

What can we expect this year? My favourites from that list are Adrian Crowley and the Duckworth Lewis Method, though I could see Laura Izibor or Valerie Frances walking away with it, while And So I Watch You From Afar and Codes are highly rated.

Surprised that there's no nomination for Patrick Kelleher's "You Look Cold", which I think is the best Irish album released in the last year, but I've come to expect that from awards such as this!

Paddy Power have installed Valerie Frances as the favourite to win, and I was following the same line of thought myself.

Tickets are still available at 27euro for the event which takes place on Wednesday in Vicar Street. Always a good night out!

No comments:

Post a Comment