About Me

My photo
Cork, Ireland
An Irish based alternative music blog. Music news, gigs, live reviews, album reviews... You'll find them here. If you want anything featured or removed, please shout. I hope you'll discover something new to love on this little experiment of mine. Currently editing the Music Section of the UCC Express and contributing to Motley magazine on campus, as well as writing for PopCultureMonster and 4FortyFour. Always looking for new projects so please get in touch if interested. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mark Lanegan

I had never listened to Soulsavers before tonight. Dave Fanning played "Some Misunderstanding" on his regular night-time show and I've just been blown away by it. Check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmKuTlD9h2U

It features Mark Lanegan on vocals. I'm always amazed when I hear this guy. His voice is just stunning. Lanegan is best known for his work with Screaming Trees, though his collaborations with Queens of the Stone Age are what first introduced me to him. The opening track on the "Lullabies to Paralyze" album 'This Lullaby' is among my favourites from Josh Homme et al, purely the result of Lanegan's vocal.

Below is a link to 'Hit The City', the lead single from Lanegan's "Bubblegum" record. A gorgeous, slow burning album with memorable appearances from PJ Harvey, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan, Chris Goss and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xMvw9lCOBw

In recent years Lanegan has been working with Isobel Campbell of Belle & Sebastian fame. The two records they've put out have been highly commended and I'd suggest checking out "Ballad of the Broken Seas". A really enjoyable album.

Since then, the majority of Lanegan's time has been taken up by two releases and an extensive tour with Soulsavers (they are currently opening for Depeche Mode), the highlight of which is 'Some Misunderstanding' for me. So far at least!

Here's hoping for another solo record soon, "Bubblegum" was really stunning!

1 comment:

  1. Hey look for the gutter twins 'live with me' massive attack cover which is one of my favourite tracks ever! Mark Lanagan is a legend!

    ReplyDelete