About Me

My photo
Cork, Ireland
An Irish based alternative music blog. Music news, gigs, live reviews, album reviews... You'll find them here. If you want anything featured or removed, please shout. I hope you'll discover something new to love on this little experiment of mine. Currently editing the Music Section of the UCC Express and contributing to Motley magazine on campus, as well as writing for PopCultureMonster and 4FortyFour. Always looking for new projects so please get in touch if interested. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Aaaand finally...

Yes I know I'm really laying on the new posts today, though I've rather slacked in the last few days so I think its necessary!

Sunday will see the return of that most magical of "holidays" - Valentine's Day! [Yes I'm fully aware that it is a ridiculous excuse for a holiday, entirely manufactured by greeting card companies and designed to humiliate and depress singles...] We're all giddy with excitement and being pummelled with love-songs on the radio. It's enough to give you a headache...

Anyway I don't think that the sentiment behind the day is entirely bad, and it should not be lost under a flurry of candy and flowers. The alternative side is alive and well too.

My Alternative Valentines Movie:
Why watch "Notting Hill" for the hundredth time when you can enjoy the magic of "[500] Days of Summer"? A very enjoyable film that shows the flip side to the "joy" of love!

As for Valentine's Songs... The following are my choices. The horrors of James Blunt CAN be avoided!
Check out any of the following...

1. Hot Chip "One Life Stand" [The sentiment is clear on the new Hot Chip record! One night is not enough for these guys...]

2. Bright Eyes "First Day of My Life" [Almost sickeningly sweet, but it's very cute isn't it?]

3. The Beach Boys "Wouldn't It Be Nice" & "God Only Knows" [Classics. Don't even need to elaborate!]

4. Pete Doherty & Wolfman "For Lovers" [Pretty self-explanatory isn't it?]

5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Maps" [My favourite on the list! "They don't love you like I love you!" wails Karen O on this modern classic...]

If you are trying to avoid the whole "love" side altogether, go for the more bitter resentful tracks such as...

1. Elvis Costello "Alison"
2. Beck "Lost Cause"
3. Yeasayer "ONE" or "Madder Red"
or anything off the stunning "For Emma, Forever Ago" by Bon Iver. The exception to the rule for break-up albums...

Anyway whichever path you follow, enjoy! I plan on waking up Monday and thinking "oh did I miss it? Sure..."

No comments:

Post a Comment