About Me

My photo
Cork, Ireland
An Irish based alternative music blog. Music news, gigs, live reviews, album reviews... You'll find them here. If you want anything featured or removed, please shout. I hope you'll discover something new to love on this little experiment of mine. Currently editing the Music Section of the UCC Express and contributing to Motley magazine on campus, as well as writing for PopCultureMonster and 4FortyFour. Always looking for new projects so please get in touch if interested. Thanks for reading.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Evening...

Unfortunately I haven't quite gotten around to listening to the new Midlake album "The Courage of Others" in as much detail as I'd like yet, so my review will have to wait. Early impressions... Not as good as "The Trials of Van Occupanther" but still a damn impressive record, and one that I have enjoyed and am looking forward to again. I can't understand the rather lukewarm reviews I'm reading elsewhere (The Sunday Times say 2/5!? VERY harsh!)

It is a bit different to the debut, with a lot more guitar. More 1960s folk than 1970s soft-rock, the record is a grower. "Acts of Man" is still my favourite, though I think that may be because I'm more familiar with that than any of the others. I'll get back to you on this one, though right now it's in around the 7.5/10 mark. Good, but room for improvement!

Meanwhile I find myself playing a Swedish singer-songwriter on repeat lately... The Tallest Man on Earth is back with a new song "King of Spain" and a new album (out in April I believe!) and I am well impressed! I'm quite late to discover this guy, but I'm eagerly making up for lost time now! Check him out! A must for fans of Bon Iver, Justin Vernon, J. Tilman, Fionn Regan and such artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment